Sunday 14 June 2015

A SAILOR’s STORY IN SW

Being a merchant navy aka seaman aka sailor, doesn’t mean one have abundant time for fishing. Such activities are rarely seen onboard as modern world commercial pressure put up a round the clock work routine for us. Yes, it was hard for me being a sailor and also an angler under ICASTERS banner.

I got off the ship on 15th May and reached MALAYSIA by 16th May. For 2 days (till 18th May),which seems like forever, I was always looking for opportunity to fish. One fine day, just after a night futsal on 18th May, I told my intention to Naresh Bro (1 of my mentor in icasters and a excellent coarse angler).He immediately agree to bring me to Jurassic SW pond in Sepang(without even thinking twice).

The next day, (on the 19th ), armed with my Majorcraft Basspara 5-10 lbs rod , Shimano Sahara 1000FE reel, 8 lbs Fireline and various soft plactic lures and also together with my friends ,I set the journey toward Jurassic SW pond. We reached Kuchai Lama (Naresh Bro house) by noon and after a quick lunch there,set path to Sepang


The journey itself took around an hour or more. Upon reaching there,we waste no time. Its casting time baby…. Right after setting up our equipment,we straight went casting. My friend had his strike on the 1st cast itself,but missed. Naresh bro was the 1st to land a fish, which is a Siakap (Barramundi) after 40 min of casting. 1 of my friend landed another Barra shortly after Naresh bro a land a GT. My friend, Thiban landed a Cobia.




As for me..i also had a strike on my 1st cast itself,but it missed even before I could set hook. My 1st fish, a Barramundi .strike was near the water pump. Bt the strike I value the most was the GTs. Damn..their lighting speed strike, their ability to swim fast and change direction rapidly made me struggle to control them at first.Bt later on,with some guidance from ,(I would call ‘sifu’) Naresh bro,I managed well..The next hook up came a little later..another GT..which took me roughly 3 mins to land it.




In the total 4 hours of casting,self landed 5 trevally and a barramundi.Both my friends had their fill with 2 GT (Thiban Raaj) & a siakap (Puvendran). N the best is Naresh Bro….A freaking record of 20 hook ups..Barra,Gt and groupers..

It’s a great experience being at Jurasic SW pond...They provide an exclusive service for visitors there. Their fast reaction ensure timely release of the fishes back into da pond thus making fishes there remain healthy. As for me,a repeat to this pond is a MUST…



An experience by : Tashman Sundra Raja


8 comments: