Sunday 12 October 2014

How to be a sifu?

Even Datoship we can buy but the term sifu is only for anglers who has deep knowledge about fishing and never hesitate to guide others. This article actually is about how to become a good angler. Everyone wants to be a good angler. It doesn't matter what type of fishing. So let me give some tips from my own observation.

1) Equipments

Yes equipments. Some of you might think only experience is enough to become a sifu. You are totally wrong. How are we going to teach others when our tackle box doesn't even have a pliers, cutter, leader or etc? Imagine us bringing some friends new to fishing. We can't aspect them to bring all these equipments (most probe they will bring only rod n reel).Take an example of my sifu Zai. When I met him 8 years ago I need to rely much on him because I don't have enough equipment. Even till today u can see a mini tackle shop inside his tool box. Everything is there and well organized. Leading by example is a perfect example of a sifu and not just tunjuk power.


Example of casting equipments that we should have for casting fishing. 
(Thank you Mathew Mahen Kumar for this picture)

2) Knots

An angler's expertise and experience not only judged by his catches but also his knots. There are some many types of knots (more than hundred of knots) but it doesn't mean we need to know all the knots. If we can tie 10 types of knots that's already good enough. Every time I learn a new knot I will practice it nothing less than 100 x before trying it during a fishing session. I have seen some really good and neat knots from my friends itself. Their knots were even better than mine. As an example my friend Mathew's Albright knot, Lan lubuk's TLL knot and Thava and boy@bfw angler's fg knot. Their way of tying a knot seriously impressed me and I'm pretty sure there are many anglers with great handwork of tying a knot. Once you master your knots you are ready for criteria no 3.

Few tutorial videos for our guidance:


Uni knot



FG knot



Albright knot



3) Experience

When your equipments is complete and your knots are good then its time to find real experience. An experienced angler knows the fish behaviors, correct tackle setup, specific bait/lures for specific type of fishes and of course water craft. During my days at pay ponds I can just differentiate fishes just by the looking at the bubbles. Rohu, grass carp, big head carp, pacu and catfish has their way of releasing bubbles. 1 more tips- if you want to know the deepest point of a lake/pond just checkout for patin’s heavy boiling spot. Like my sifu Mathew he can easily predicts snakehead’s behavior just by looking at the water condition and movements. That shows the angler’s experience. How we practically use our knowledge from articles and magazines is the main ball game. When we concentrate in all these the fish will come by itself. A wise man told me once. Don't cast your lure to get fish. Just concentrate your lure presentation and the fish will come to you. Same goes to my final message don't fish to become sifu but fish to get experience and a lot fun and the title sifu will come to you. Even sifus still learning:)

I dedicate this to all my sifus especially to Zai pacak Bfw tll, Mathew mahen Kumar, Vimalan krishnasamy, Selvakumar Arunasalam and BFW Angler for guiding me to be a good angler:)


by Naresh BFW TII, ICasters Malaysia




2 comments:

  1. Walao weh... bro.. The phrase datoship is super... nice article and videos bro..

    ReplyDelete